Sunday, March 6, 2011

Surprise!

Well, since none of you guessed, I guess I will just have to tell you what I made! I was actually surprised on how quickly I finished this! I could have done it in a day if I really wanted too, but I spread it out. It was such a fun thing to make, and I would like to give a BIG shout out to my amazing Mother inlaw Karen who is so wise and who helped me out so much! Without her, I think I would have given up and just sacked the whole project. THANKS KAREN!
So here is the big project I have been working on for the past week!

It is called a "Stacked Coin" Quilt! I made it for a dear friend of mine who had a sweet baby girl on the first of January. Today was her blessing day, and so that is why I had just a weeks time to finish it.
Her mom, the amazing Megan, wanted it to be pink and brown (well actually, she didn't know what I was making, I just asked her). So Colt was so gracious and drove me over to JoAnn's, where I found these adorable prints!


I then I cut long rectangle strips of 4"x16" of each fabric, and then sewed them side by side as seen here.
I then cut them across width wise, so the squares were 4"x4". So the end result was a strip of 4 different fabrics, each fabric square being 4"x4". Then you take 3 of those long rectangles and sew them end to end, to make a LONG strip, as seen below. Now if you don't want any of the same fabric touching each other, you have to strategically map that out. Which I didn't do....and so 2 squares of the same fabric were touching in the end result. But really I didn't care anymore, because poor Karen and I were trying to puzzle piece that thing to make it fit, and we were turning them every which way possible for an hour, but to no avail. OH WELL.

The next step was to place the white strips inbetween the strips of squares. Karen had some pillowcases that she wasn't using from Ikea, and so we RECYCLED (always an awesome and free option!) and cut them into strips for the middle sections, in between the patterned fabric. The awesome thing about these pillow cases was that they didn't have a seam at the end, so when I cut it, I didn't have to sew it back together! It fit the length of the quilt perfectly when they were cut into strips! Having the white solid strips in between the blocks is the "pattern" of a stacked coin quilt. That is what makes it unique! Don't you think it looks cute?!
Next came the border! Karen had some adorable pink polkadot fabric to spare, and so we used it to form the border of the quilt. I sewed that on in a couple of minutes, and BAM! The top of my quilt was finished! Voila!

I then basted the front, batting, and back together with about a million safety pins. I rolled some of the brown over the pink border, so it gave it a smaller brown border around the edge of the quilt. This was a difficult part, but I survived. Lets just say, it looked very handmade. :)

I then wrapped it up with a big bow, and gave it to Megan and little Audrey.
I hope you like it Miss Audrey Grace! You better snuggle up like a bug in a rug!

I know she is crying in this picture, but as soon as Megan wrapped her up in it, she fell right asleep! It must be the fuzzy soft backing, SO SOFT.

P.S. I am proud to say that this quilt cost only 25 dollars total to make! It had to be the fastest quilt I have ever made and it still looked adorable! Recycling is a key factor here people!
Well I hope I didn't disappoint! Enjoy it baby Audrey!

1 comment:

  1. You never disappoint me when you are so happy with your hard work. It is so cute and you can tell alot of love went into it. I also am grateful that the talented Karen is your mother in law. I am a proud mom!

    ReplyDelete